Basics: Medicare Monthly Premium 2012

What is the monthly premium for Medicare Part B (medical insurance) in 2012?
The standard Part B premium for 2012 is $99.90.

Part B helps pay for doctors’ services and outpatient care.  It also covers other medical services, such as physical and occupational therapy, and some home health care.  For most people with Medicare, the government pays a substantial portion-about 75 percent-of the Part B premium and you pay the remaining 25 percent.

Since 2007, higher-income beneficiaries will pay more of their Part B premium based on income they reported on their federal income taxes.  In 2012, only beneficiaries with income greater than $85,000 and married couples with income greater than $170,000 will pay a monthly premium equal to 35, 50, 65 or 80 percent of the total cost, depending on the income they reported on their taxes. However, less than 5 percent of people with Medicare are affected, so most people will not pay a higher premium.

For more information or to get an idea of what you can expect to pay, see Medicare Premiums: Rules for Higher-Income Beneficiaries (Publication No. 10161), call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778, or visit your local Social Security office. To learn more about Medicare Part B, visit or call 1-800-MEDICARE 1-800-633-4227; TTY 1-877-486-2048).

Print Friendly

Fatal error: Uncaught Exception: 12: REST API is deprecated for versions v2.1 and higher (12) thrown in /home/lapeti6/public_html/ on line 1273